Inspired by the University’s core values, and on the pursuit of the CoICT mission, the department aspires the following culture:
- Academic freedom: The community of the department shall enjoy the right to express views, teach, and conduct research without fear of retribution or censure;
- Diversity: A rich variety of experiences, perspectives, and talents is essential to our strength as a community;
- Constructive relationships: Healthy relations among all members of the department community are the cornerstones of our academic life;
- Fostering learning skills: The training programmes should help students develop lifelong learning skills;
- Participatory leadership: Members of the department must be involved in setting the department priorities and decision making;
- Scholarships for excellence: Staff of the department shall be supported in achieving excellence in their disciplines.
- Distinguished public service: Engagement in activities to bring social-economic development; and
- Ethical conduct and integrity: Underlying each of the above values is a belief in fostering ethical behaviour and integrity.